Sunday, October 19, 2008

Extreme Room Makeover

They came, they painted, they cleaned, they fed me and they left.

Today is probably my favorite story to date. The whole morning I was thinking about how I would put today’s events on paper, and do the situation justice. Here is my attempt…..

Let me begin by setting the stage. At the beginning of the week my uncle and cousin called saying, that if they had time this Saturday, they would come and paint my room at 8 AM. I didn’t even know if we are allowed to put paint on the walls, they live 2 and a half hours away and I have put pictures up, so……I tried to say, “please don’t worry about it, my walls are fine” but my cousin simpley said he didn’t understand, and he would call me later in the week to say if they were coming.

Ok, well seeing as the decision was made and they were willing to come here…..I guess the walls could use a little paint. As an afterthought, I also mentioned that I didn’t have any curtains. I didn’t know what to expect, what colour they would paint, if we would have to go buy it etc.

Now, its Saturday morning, 7:35am….I’m rolling out of bed, slightly regretting going to sleep only 5 hours before and anticipating the call from my cousin stating “We are in the near!”

When they rang the doorbell I went to let my cousin and uncle in. ………and my Taunte Lida!..... and her sewing machine, and baskets of food, curtain rods, paint, paint rollers, toolboxes, drills, coffee, tea…..These people come prepared!

We cleared off the kitchen table and set up the swinging machine, took my room apart and started rolling on the paint (it is white!...which is great because as I would like most colours, April mentioned pink and I was just a bit worried). Halfway through we braked for breakfast (my Taunte Lida made amazing crepes, kuchen (baked goods) etc!) Then continued on until about 1 oclock.

Taunte Lida and I putzed (cleaned) the whole room, top to bottom., (including areas I’m pretty sure have never been putzed in their life!) It was kinda fun actually. We worked out a system where she would do the lower half (she is probably 5 foot 1 with her little heels) and I would do the top half of whatever we were cleaning.

Finally, the curtains went up, (I am staring at their beauty right now). They are blue and pink and “modern” as my uncle had joked. One curtain is solid blue with a thin stripe of pink on the bottom (lets go with 98% blue…..this is nice)……and the other is made with the left over scraps of blue and pink material. It is 60% blue and 40% pink, therefore there is quite a contrast between the look of these two curtains BUT they keep the sunlight out in the morning and allow me to put my pj’s on without laying them out, turning off the light, changing and turning the light back on. ☺

I was really struck by the kindness of these people. Even though I’ve only known them for a little while, had diner at their house once and can only speak a broken conversation with them, because I am family, they took a big chunk of their time to come and take care of me. I feel really blessed. Next weekend I’m going to their house and attending a wedding with them! (check out pics)

No comments:

Post a Comment