Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Tuesdays

I love Tuesdays!...for one reason only….GOSPEL CHIOR! I think after every Tuesday night I will anticipate the next Tuesday right away. Tonight I had my first gospel choir class and it ROCKED! We are singing songs such as “Ain’t no Mountain High enough,” “Oh Happy Day” etc.! and the teacher is an absolutely amazing jazz pianist!

The girl beside me found out I was from Canada….so later on in the class there was a question about how to pronounce the word “crazy”….she volunteered me to read the entire text so they could here how its supposed to sound without a German accent! I did so and it was followed by a whistle from the male tenor section. Definitely slightly embarrassed, I hid my face behind my book while everyone laughed.

After class I got to meet a bunch of my peers. Everyone is so friendly here! I’m always asked where I live in Canada, and I reply with “about 20 minutes from Niagara Falls”….this is followed by…”oh cool!...super!....I’ve been to Vancouver ……or Calgary …..or somewhere out west”….no one ever comes to Ontario!

Today I also found out that I will be having piano lessons here. For a while it was up in the air because all the teachers were full. At first I was disappointed, then I really got used the idea, realizing that no lesson=less practicing. My previous blog where I mentioned practicing 3 hours a day?.... quickly became history and I started dreaming about what kind of job I could pick up. (for those of you who don’t know, I really like having job. To me job=more spending money=not having to budget!!) Well my dreams came to a complete halt. This Thrusday I have my first lesson with Prof. Schurmann and I’m most certain she will rock my piano playing world! I talked with her on the phone today, this is a fragmaent of our conversation…….She politely asked what pieces I was playing right now….

realistic answer-“whatever I feel like”

spoken answer-“ oh well I did my grade 10 RCM exam at the beginning of the year (which she doesn’t know what that is) I haven’t had lessons for the summer (which I’m sure is sac-religious in this place) so I’ve bee working on some pieces…….

Her response-“did you pass the entrance audition/performance?”

Answer-“oh, I didn’t have to do that because my school has an international partnership”

Response- “ok well, I would like to hear you play something on Thursday so I can see what level you are at, and then we will set up a program”

Answer “GULP….that sounds lovely….I look forward to seeing you then!”----Followed by- me hanging up the phone and slowly realizing that I will either crash and burn or have to make the threehourdaysofpractising (tried to do it like the Germans do it there….add a million words together to make a new one :P) a reality. Please, please, PLEASE wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. AHHH Gospel Choir. You know how much I would LOVE that.
    Miss you kbomb.

    ReplyDelete